Airline Pilot Program
What are the basic requirements to begin flight training?
- You must be at least 17 years old.
- You must have a high school diploma or equivalency.
- You must be able to obtain an FAA medical certificate.
- You must be proficient in English.
- You must hold a valid passport with at least 6 months before expiration.
- You will need to apply for and receive an M1 visa.
- You must be available to be a full-time student 5 days per week.
How can Epic help me become an airline pilot?
Epic Flight Academy’s Airline Pilot Program is designed to provide international students with step-by-step structured flight training, taking you from someone with zero flight experience to a commercial pilot career in as little as one year. Transfer students are able to convert their prior flight training. Our programs meet the requirements of all Civil Aviation Authorities (CAA) and the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA). Our programs support students who may speak English as a second language and who want to pursue a career as a professional pilot, whether in the United States or in their home countries. In the aviation industry, the ability to speak English proficiently is required of all pilots. If you have already had some flight training, you can convert your training through Foreign Pilot License Verification. Financing options may be available.
Have other international students trained at Epic?
Epic is proud to have helped thousands of international students from more than 80 countries prepare for careers in aviation with more than 300 airlines. Visit our Student Profiles to see the success of Epic flight students from around the world! You can search for students from your country to view their flight achievements.
How does Epic support international students in their flight training?
Epic Flight Academy provides important resources for its international flight students, including housing options, new generation fleet of aircraft, and excellent flight instructors. Our online Virtual Flight Academy lets you connect with your instructor and classmates before you arrive here in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. The online course helps you develop aviation skills and build a knowledge base of aviation terms and concepts so you will have an advantage when you begin attending Epic’s Ground School. We have compiled the most frequently asked questions by our international students to provide specific information.
While attending Ground School, you can also receive English tutoring to support your Aviation English skills if needed. Once you successfully complete your pilot training at Epic, you are certified by the FAA to ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) Level IV English. We welcome students of all nationalities and are ready to welcome YOU to begin flight training for a career in aviation.
EASA International Professional Pilot Program (European Union): This program is for international students who aspire to pursue a professional pilot career with any airline operating in the European Union. Your flight training experience will lead to your PPL, IFR, and (Airline Transport Pilot License) ATPL ratings while building flight time through instruction. You will meet all minimum equivalent licensing requirements to be validated as a commercial pilot in the European Union through our European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and FAA.
Depending on each country’s civil aviation authority, total flight time requirements will vary. Most countries require either 200 to 250 hours of total flight time.
What is the course sequence?
- Virtual Online Flight Academy: This provides online interactive pilot training designed for students to be able to start their flight training from home prior to arriving at our flight school. The course provides training videos with information on Cessna 172s, aircraft systems, aircraft performance, FAA regulations, and the New Smyrna Beach Airport, our home base. Virtual training also provides students access to Epic’s FAA Flight Instructors who are there to provide support. The course also provides a collaboration function, which allows students to connect with each other before arriving at Epic. Try our Demo Online Course.
- Aviation Skill Development (ASD) and Private Pilot Ground School: The ASD is a unique course offered only by Epic. During this phase of flight training, ground school students will build on the information they gained from the Virtual Flight Academy and also start flight simulator training. The purpose of ASD is to familiarize students with the Cessna 172 and the New Smyrna Beach Airport. ASD increases students’ safety and awareness.
- Private Pilot: This course covers flight training Visual Flight Rules (VFR) in conjunction with the ASD and Ground School. Students will learn basic aerodynamics, FAA regulations, aircraft weight & balance, and aircraft performance. At successful completion, student will be able to command a single aircraft solo in VFR conditions. Learn more about our Private Pilot Course.
- Instrument Pilot: This course covers flight training Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) with procedures specific to instrument flying, additional instruction in meteorology, and more intensive training in flight solely by reference to instruments. At successful completion, student will be able to command a single aircraft solo in IFR conditions. Learn more about our Instrument Pilot Course.
- Single-Engine Commercial (Option A): This course covers flight training IFR in a single engine complex aircraft to commercial pilot standards. At successful completion, student will be able to command a multi engine complex aircraft in IFR conditions.
- Multi-Engine Commercial (Option B): This course covers flight training IFR in a multi engine aircraft to commercial pilot standards At successful completion, student will be able to command a multi engine aircraft in IFR conditions. Learn more about our Commercial Pilot Course.
- Pilot-In-Command Time Building: The total of flight time during the time building phase is based on the aviation authority from which the student will fly and the hiring airline. Each country may vary. Please reference your country’s minimum requirements.
Airline Pilot Program – International Students
Zero Experience to Airline Pilot
Total Course Tuition $39,983.75 USD
Starting with Instrument Course
Total Course Tuition $29,981.25 USD
Starting with Commercial Course
Total Course Tuition $17,700.25 USD
While we accept students from every country, we have additional information about the following countries:
This is just a short list of the many countries whose students we serve. Regardless of your country of origin, we can provide the training you need for your aviation career.
What else should I know about flight training at Epic?
What does English Proficiency Endorsement mean to International Students?
Be sure your English is proficient! As of March 5, 2008, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) requires pilots who operate internationally to have a certificate stating that the pilot is proficient in the English language. This means all private, commercial, and airline transport pilots with powered aircraft ratings must be able to speak, understand, and write in English. Before applying to flight school, be sure your English is proficient for all communications!
Visit Epic Flight Academy Campus
We invite you to visit in person or take a virtual tour of our campus to get a look at our top-notch facilities and resources here at the New Smyrna Beach Municipal Airport. We also encourage prospective students to schedule a Discovery Flight Introductory Lesson here at Epic Flight Academy to get a feel for flight training with one of our Certified Flight Instructors.
Relocation & Transportation Assistance
We understand that selecting and applying to a flight school, and arranging travel and housing can be very stressful. Our pilot training facility assists students in arranging each detail so that the transition is simple and easy. Visit our Student Life section for more information on our student amenities, transportation, events, and activities.
Are pilot salaries still on the rise around the world?
In 2018, the median airline pilot salary was $130,059. Salaries vary by country, airline, and type of aircraft, but with the growing pilot shortage, pilots remain well paid around the globe with continued employment security. Upon completion of your flight training at Epic, you may wish to transfer your flight training credit toward an associate’s degree in our college degree program with Daytona State College. This is not required, but we are happy to make this available to our flight students. A college degree can positively impact a pilot’s earning potential.
What if I have other questions?
You can view the most Frequently Asked Questions for international students, and you can also post questions and comments in our Pilot Forum. We are here to help and look forward to answering your questions. You are welcome to contact us anytime!