Flight School Financing/Student Loans
We are often asked if there are student loans available for flight students, and we’re happy to say that there are several options. Epic students can apply to Sallie Mae or other lenders. We have provided information here to help you in this process.
Am I eligible for the Sallie Mae Career Training Smart Option Student Loan?
Many Epic Flight Academy students apply for and receive student loans from Sallie Mae. Below is a list of all those eligible to apply:
- U.S. Citizens and Permanent Resident Aliens are eligible.
- Resident Alien with required U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) documentation.
- Non-U.S. citizen students (including DACA students) who reside in and attend school in the U.S., are eligible with a creditworthy cosigner (who must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident) and are required to provide an unexpired government-issued photo ID to verify identity.
- Those who meet current credit and other eligibility criteria.
- Students attending school full-time, half-time, or less than half-time, or taking prerequisite classes. Students attending summer classes or continuing education classes.
- If you still need funds after maximizing grants, scholarships, and federal student loans you can apply.
- Anyone taking courses that do not qualify for federal student loans.
- Students attending summer classes or continuing education classes.
- Those who still need funds after maximizing grants, scholarships, and federal student loans.
- Students taking courses that do not qualify for federal student loans.
How do I apply?
Applying is easy! Students (or co-signers) can apply online. This takes approximately 15 minutes. Next, you will receive your credit approval. This includes your estimated monthly payment amounts, interest rates, and total number of payments to help select your repayment option. Follow these steps to apply now:
- 1: First, complete the application online.
- 2: Under “Loan Needs,” select whether you are a student, co-signer, parent or sponsor.
- 3: For “Type of Program,” select “Career training school.”
- 4: Select “Florida” for the state.
- 5: Type in “Epic Flight Academy,” which will automatically pull it up for you. Click on that.
- 6: Finally, provide requested information. We look forward to seeing you soon at Epic!
What is Epic’s administrative code for Sallie Mae?
Epic’s administrative code is 606701-00. Most importantly, always use this number when contacting Sallie Mae.
What are the loan limits?
There is a minimum of $1,000. Also, the maximum is the school-certified cost of attendance, less other financial aid received – no aggregate loan limit. Also, Sallie Mae reserves the right to approve a lower loan amount than the school-certified amount.
Looking for additional information?
Check out our most frequently asked questions. Furthermore, Sallie Mae has provided additional information that can be downloaded as PDFs:
- General Information (Career Training Smart Option Student Loan)
- Sallie Mae Scholarship Assistance
- Sallie Mae Frequently Asked Questions
- Applying for a Loan with a Cosigner
Are there other loan sources to pursue training for a career as an airline pilot or aircraft mechanic?
Yes, other lenders support pilot training and mechanic training. For instance, you can contact your personal bank to see if they provide student loans. Similarly, there are certain lenders that offer students loans for specific criteria. In other words, lenders may have residency requirements. We have listed several options below that might work for you.
When applying for a loan at Epic Flight Academy, use this code: 513979
When applying for a loan at Epic Flight Academy, use this code: 900902
When applying for a loan at Epic Flight Academy, use this code: 900823
First of all, these loans are open to Alaskan residents or someone training in Alaska. Also, you must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
- First of all, you must be an Alaska resident.
- Loan limit of $10,000 per year
- Aggregate limit of $56,000
- Repayment term: 10 years
- Students/Family members click here to apply or call 1-800-441-2962
- Most importantly, this is for Kentucky residents attending out-of-state schools.
- Borrow up to total cost of education
- 15 year repayment
- Students/Parents click here to apply or call 1-800-988-6333
- First of all, this is for NJ residents attending out-of-state schools.
- Borrow up to total cost of education
- Repayment terms 10,15, or 20 years
- Click here to apply or call 1-800-792-8670
- Must be an eligible member of American Airlines Credit Union
- Can borrow up to $40,000
- Repayment up to 10 years, payments begin as soon as funds are disbursed through the credit union.
- Call 1-800-533-0035
- Maximum loan amount: $100,000
- 7 year maximum to repay, payments begin as soon as funds are disbursed
- Inquire online or by calling 1-800-627-5263
- First of all, you must be Florida resident or a member with AOPA.
- You can borrow up to $30,000.
- There is a 6-year repayment term.
- Inquire online or by calling 954-745-2400.
- Veterans may be unsure of eligibility or have questions about G.I. Bill entitlement. If so, contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (1-888-GIBILL1). Eligible students enrolled here must maintain satisfactory academic progress. This is a requirement to receive VA education benefits.
- Flight training is available to eligible veterans and reservists. See Chapters 30, 32 and 33, Title 38 USC, Chapter 1606 and Title 10 USC. For instance, only training at Part 141 flight schools is eligible for benefits. Also, students must hold an unrestricted PPL and at least a Class II medical certificate. You must meet these criteria to be eligible for benefits. Next, you must prove Class II privileges prior to the start of each course. Benefits are payable for dual flight, ground school training, and pre/post flight briefings. After that, the VA pays benefits are monthly. This is following submission by the school of a “monthly certification of training.” In other words, you must pay attention to all VA details for the reason that they are so specific.
- Applicants for Education Benefits (22-1990) and Request of Change of Program of Place of Training (22-5495) should be sent to: VA Regional Office, P.O. Box 888, Muskogee, OK 74402-888.
Are there any flight school student loan options for international students?
Yes. International flight students may also qualify for student loans or other types of financing.
Are there scholarships available for flight school?
There are numerous organizations that offer scholarships to student pilots. Also, students can find scholarships locally. For instance, service organizations such as Rotary, Lions Club, etc. may offer financial support. Additionally, some employers offer scholarship. As a result, many students use scholarships for part of their tuition and student loans for the remainder.
Are the financial benefits sufficient to justify a student loan?
Airline pilot salaries have steadily increased along with benefits. Therefore, we encourage you to compare the cost of training and loan interest to potential earnings. Pilot salary potential is at an all-time high. Besides, most pilots become pilots for reasons other than a high salary. Certainly, it is up to you to decide your career path. In other words, do your research, and above all, follow your passion.