Aircraft Mechanic Program
Have you ever considered becoming an aircraft mechanic?
Want to peek under the hood of a plane? Epic Flight Academy in New Smyrna Beach, Florida invites you to enroll in our Part 147 aircraft mechanic program. Aircraft mechanic jobs are on the rise. If training to become an airframe and powerplant (A&P) aviation mechanic (also known as an AMT – aviation maintenance technician) in the aerospace industry is something you’ve been thinking about, we invite you to read on, and check out our video! Become trained to repair helicopter and plane equipment, troubleshoot engine problems, and more. There are thousands of entry level positions in this industry. So, if you are thinking about a career change, consider becoming an aircraft mechanic.
What is required to enroll in Epic’s aircraft mechanic program?
The requirements to enroll in our program are as follows:
- First of all, you must be 18 years old by completion of the program.
- Also, you must pass an entry level exam online.
- Additionally, you must speak, read, write, and understand English.
- Finally, you must complete an interview with Epic personnel. (We are screening for determination, ability, and reliability.)
Once I’m enrolled, what steps must I take to complete the program and become an aircraft mechanic?
- Once you have qualified to enroll, you must pay a $45 enrollment fee.
- Next, you will need to pay your course tuition ($3,900) before beginning your first course. After that, you can pay as you go. (Tuition is $19,500 total; books are $300; toolkit, which you will keep, is $1,500.)
- You will need to complete and pass 5 courses.
- You must take and pass 3 FAA exams. The FAA charges $160 for each of these exams.
- Finally, at the completion of the program, you must take and pass your FAA oral and practical exam. The FAA charges $1,050 for this exam.
- Once you have passed, you will be a licensed aircraft mechanic.
What happens after I complete my training?
- First of all, you can begin applying for aircraft mechanic positions as soon as you’ve passed your oral and practical exam.
- Use your network that you developed at Epic to find the perfect job. We host regular career sessions with many airlines.
- Likewise, check with Epic’s maintenance program to see if we have openings. We love to hire our graduates!
- Also, research current mechanic salaries and prepare for your interview.
- Most importantly, get ready to enjoy your new career as an aircraft mechanic! Average starting salaries are approximately $60,000.
What is an aircraft mechanic school?
An aircraft mechanic school is where students train to become an Aircraft Maintenance Technician (AMT), the FAA title applied to aircraft mechanics. Another common name for an aircraft mechanic is Airframe & Powerplant (A&P). These technicians are trained to maintain and repair airplanes and jets to meet FAA standards. Furthermore, they are authorized to inspect aircraft, supervise maintenance, perform preventative maintenance, and alter aircraft and aircraft systems. Epic is proud to be selected by the FAA to offer an aircraft mechanic school at our flight school location at the New Smyrna Beach Airport.
What is a Part 147 school?
There are two ways of recognizing the student’s ability to demonstrate the necessary knowledge and skills for aircraft mechanic: practical experience or completion of a training program at a school certificated under Part 147 of the FARs.
What courses are required in this program?
Epic’s program follows FAA guidelines. You must complete the following courses and successfully pass all exams.
- General Technician – Aviation Maintenance
- Airframe Technician Part 1 – Aviation Maintenance
- Airframe Technician Part 2 – Aviation Maintenance
- Powerplant Technician Part 1 – Aviation Maintenance
- Powerplant Technician Part 2 – Aviation Maintenance
- Take three written exams (General, Airframe, and Powerplant). You must pass with a score of 70% or higher. (Note: These are FAA exams and cost $160 each.)
- Take and pass the FAA practical (hands-on) exam.
- Take and pass the FAA oral exam. (Note: The practical and oral exams cost a total of $1,050.)
How long does the program take?
Each course is 4 months in length, so the entire aircraft mechanic program takes approximately 18 months to complete. This requires you to attend school 5 days per week (Monday through Friday) for 6 hours a day. Each course requires 450 hours of class time.
Therefore, in this relatively short period of time, you will be qualified to work for any airline! New classes begin every three months. The next class is scheduled to begin in October 2020.
What skills will I learn in the aircraft mechanic program?
You will gain knowledge, develop skills, and foster a disposition of safety and care in this program. The majority of your learning experiences will be hands-on (60% labs, 40% lecture). You will work on actual aircraft with other students, and we pride ourselves on keeping our class size small. Below is a partial list of skills you acquire in our program. Here is a brief description of the curriculum:
- Demonstrate basic aircraft drawing skills.
- Perform aircraft weight and balance skills.
- Master ground operations and servicing duties.
- Exhibit mathematical skills.
- Maintain accurate forms and records.
- Apply principles of basic physics.
- Explain understanding of maintenance publications.
- Engage in professional communication skills.
- Determine and maintain correct levels of aircraft fluid lines.
- Adjust and maintain aircraft fittings.
- Clean and maintain corrosion-control of equipment.
- Master basic electricity skills.
- Maintain aircraft covering.
- Apply aircraft paint and finishes.
- Maintain wood structures.
- Repair and/or build sheet-metal and non-metallic structures.
- Inspect, repair, and maintain aircraft landing-gear systems, hydraulic and pneumatic power systems, cabin atmosphere control systems, and aircraft instrument systems.
- Weld and assemble rigging and airframe to pass inspection.
- Inspect, repair, and maintain communication and navigation systems.
- Demonstrate the skills of an Aviation Maintenance Technician (AMT) with an FAA Airframe rating.
- Inspect, repair, and maintain aircraft fuel systems, aircraft electrical systems, and position and warning systems.
- Demonstrate an attitude of safety and care.
- Inspect, repair, and maintain ice and rain control systems.
- Exhibit knowledge of Federal Aviation Administration Airframe licensing requirements.
- Inspect, repair, and maintain aircraft fire-protection systems.
What certificate will I earn in this program?
You will earn a mechanic certificate with either an Airframe or Powerplant rating, or both upon completion of all courses, which is an Aircraft & Powerplant (A&P) Certificate.
How often do new classes start?
New classes will start three times each year in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. Upcoming classes will begin:
- February 15, 2021
- June 8, 2021
- October 5, 2021
How much is the average aircraft mechanic salary?
Starting pay for aircraft mechanics is in the neighborhood of $60,000, but this will vary depending on which company you choose for your employer. The pay per hour ranges from $20 to $50 depending on multiple factors. So, we encourage you to research further details about aircraft mechanic salaries and wages including starting, average, and top pay.
Is there a need for A&Ps in the workforce?
Yes, as the pilot shortage continues, flight schools around the world must purchase more training aircraft, which requires them to hire more aircraft mechanics. Additionally, as air travel continues to increase worldwide each year, airlines are expanding their fleets. Aircraft maintenance technicians continue to be in high demand. There is a critical shortage of vocational and technical skills in today’s marketplace, and we will provide training to help address that shortage.
What types of jobs are available with this training?
Epic Flight Academy’s Aircraft Mechanic Program opens the door for you to have an amazing career in aviation or related industries. By earning your Airframe & Powerplant (A&P), you’ll be on a pathway to your choice of financially rewarding aircraft mechanic jobs. This training allows you to work on everything from hot air balloons in Albuquerque to jumbo jets at United. You will be qualified to work for commercial airlines, aircraft manufacturers, Space X, private jet owners, government agencies, and even companies like Disney World. You can even freelance and work for individual airplane owners. Epic maintains partnerships to provide interview opportunities for its graduates.
Upon completion of the program, you will possess the license and qualifications so you can be hired immediately. The demand is so high today that many airlines provide signing bonuses of up to $15,000 and relocation incentives. Whether you’re just starting in aviation or already established, the A&P license offers a fulfilling career. And, with more than 670,000 new jobs opening over the next 10 years, you will have many options. The cost of your educational investment will pay off in a field that offers numerous careers. Whether you find employment with Delta or Disney or decide to work at great flight school like Epic, we know you will find the career path that fits you best because the options are endless.
What is the cost for training?
The cost for tuition is $19,500 ($3,900 per course) plus $300 for books and $1,500 for tools. Most importantly, you will own these tools. There is a $45 application fee once you are approved. There are 3 FAA exams that cost $160 each. Upon completion of the program, there is an FAA oral exam and an FAA practical exam. These cost a total of $1,050. Above all, we disclose all costs upfront so you can plan accordingly. Total cost is: $22,880.
Are there payment options for tuition?
You do not pay the full tuition price upfront. Rather, you pay $3,900 per course as you progress through the program. The first semester’s payment is due when you sign your enrollment documents. After that, you will be invoiced one week prior to the first day of class during subsequent semesters. These payments are due upon receipt. Furthermore, financing is available through student loans. We also offer an annual scholarship for our aircraft mechanic program for a high school senior. Most importantly, you will have the potential to earn a generous aircraft mechanic salary that will quickly offset your initial investment.
Why should I choose Epic’s aircraft mechanic school?
Epic Flight Academy is located at the New Smyrna Beach Municipal Airport in beautiful New Smyrna Beach, Florida. Our flight school has successfully trained thousands of airline pilots, and we value our sterling reputation in the aviation industry. Similarly, we apply the same values to our Part 147 aircraft mechanic school by providing highly-credentialed instructors. In other words, training at the airport means you’ll learn in a hands-on environment. Therefore, you can observe our A&Ps conduct inspections, make repairs, and do preventative maintenance. And, just as we hire our flight school graduates to become instructors in the flight school, we also hire graduates from our aircraft maintenance school to work on our planes and teach in our school. Why? Because we know they will be trained to the highest standards!
Does Epic provide scholarships for the aircraft mechanic school?
Aviation & Technical Classroom Teachers
We are frequently asked by teachers for information they can share with their students. If you teach aviation topics or mechanical courses, you can download and print our poster for your classroom. Feel free to reach out if you have specific questions.
Do you have more questions?
Join Epic’s Aircraft Mechanics Forum to share thoughts, ask questions, and connect with others who are interested in this career. The Forum is a great place to exchange ideas and share information!
We wish you a bright future on your new career path!