Epic Flight Academy’s 5th Annual Aviation Scholarship Awards in 2020
$20,000 Scholarship – Private Pilot License
$5,000 Scholarship – Flight Training
$19,500 Scholarship – Aircraft Mechanics Program
Due to COVID-19 we intend to be as prudent as possible. Therefore, we will not host a scholarship celebration on site this year. We will mail scholarship awards to winners and announce that news here. However, we do look forward to hosting a live event in 2021!
Congratulations to our 2020 Winners!
Epic’s aviation scholarship program continues to grow each year to support young people interested in aviation. These scholarships are open to U.S. high school students. We also award a scholarship to a current Epic student.
Epic Flight Academy prides itself on attracting top students, so we are looking for two excellent candidates for the 2020 scholarship awards. First, we offer a full scholarship to earn a Private Pilot’s License (up to $20,000 in flight training). Also, we award a Partial Scholarship of $5,000 toward flight training. Our scholarships are open to all U.S. high school juniors and seniors. Finally, we award a full scholarship to a graduating senior to attend our Aircraft Mechanic Program ($19,500 value) this year.
The winners for 2020 are:
- Michael Leonardi – $20,000 in flight training
- Sadie Gerstle – $5,000 in flight training
- Edson Delgado – $19,500 in aircraft mechanic training
Epic has awarded more than $100,000 to eight high school students in the last four years. Therefore, we are excited to award scholarships for our 5th Annual Epic Aviation Scholarship. Epic’s Red Tails for Red Tails Fishing Tournament supports our scholarships. The tournament is scheduled for Saturday, November 7th.
Applications must be received by October 1, 2020
The scholarship application period has closed for 2020. Please bookmark this page and come back next year. We will announce 2020 winners on this page soon.
- First, the applicant be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Furthermore, the applicant must currently be a junior or senior attending high school in the U.S. for the flight training scholarships.
- For the aircraft mechanic scholarship, applicants must currently be a senior attending high school in the U.S.
- Applicants must be turning 16 years of age or older on or before December 31, 2020 (flight training); or, you must be 18 years old by time of completing program (aircraft mechanic)
- All applicants must be able to start training within 12 months of receiving the scholarship.
- Also, you must be able to use the scholarship within 24 months.
- Additionally, you must have parent or guardian’s approval if under 18 years of age.
- Most importantly, applicants must have consistent, reliable transportation to attend Epic Flight Academy or be willing to relocate here during training.
- Finally, you must be able to present a Third Class Medical for the flight training scholarship.
Scholarship Application Details
Our goal is to give applicants the opportunity to provide top quality submissions and showcase their dispositions toward flying, goal-setting, and other qualities. In order to minimize technical difficulties and preserve formatting, the 2020 application primarily includes document uploads, rather than typing directly into data fields.
Applicants should first review the required elements of the 2020 Scholarship Application below. Then, once applicants have completed all of the following elements, they may use the application to enter general information and provide the items listed below.
- Upload PDF document containing Community Service Involvement & Extracurricular Activities, including Organization/Affiliation, Date and Duration, and Location
- Upload PDF document containing responses to both of the following Short Essay prompts:
- Short Essay 1: What personal attributes would you look for in a scholarship applicant?
- Short Essay 2: What is your motivation for your flight training goals/aircraft mechanic goals? (Include your goals.)
- Upload 2 Letters of Recommendation: At least one must be from a high school teacher, counselor, coach, or other school official. Both Letters of Recommendation may be from teachers, counselors, coaches, or other school officials, if you wish to do so. Letters of Recommendation must not be from anyone related to you, including a guardian. Letters of Recommendation should be from adults who have served in a supervisory role to you. Please ensure that the Letters of Recommendation include the reference’s contact information.
- Create YouTube Video: In two minutes or less, creatively explain why you feel that you are the strongest candidate to receive a scholarship. Upload the video to YouTube, and be prepared to provide the link in the application.
- Upload Aviation-Related Photo: Provide us with an aviation-related photo of yourself in either jpg, jpeg, or png file format.
The deadline for submissions is Oct. 1, 2020.
How many scholarships will be awarded in 2020? We will award flight scholarships to two U.S. high school students and a mechanic scholarship to one U.S. high school senior. Also, we will award $2,500 to a current Epic student. So, we will award scholarships to 4 people.
What is included in the scholarship application? The application consists of:
- several short essay questions
- your current high school information
- community service
- letters of recommendation
- one video uploaded to YouTube
- one photo
Do I get additional points for submitting my application earlier that other applicants? The date an application is received carries no weight in the scoring process. However, the application must be submitted by the October 1st deadline.
When will I know if I’ve been selected for the final round? We will notify final round applicants by October 15th.
What is the next step if I’m chosen for the final round? Final round applicants participate in a phone interview with a panel of judges who will determine the scholarship recipients. Winners will be notified by November 8th. We typically host a celebration on site. However, due to COVID-19 we will forgo that this year.
Do I need to visit Epic Flight Academy in order to be eligible? It is important that applicants explore all that Epic Flight Academy has to offer and ensure our flight school is a good fit. We’d love to have applicants visit our campus. However, we understand that scheduling a visit involves much coordination and can be a challenge. If you are unable to visit our campus, don’t worry! Contact our Admissions Team for an abundance of information. Also, you can take a virtual tour and learn a lot here on our website.
Will I get additional points for visiting Epic Flight Academy? Applicants that visit Epic Flight Academy do not receive any additional points or consideration in the scoring process.
Past Scholarship Recipients
Epic Aviation Scholarship Contact: Dr. Cindy Lovell
Learn about our fishing tournament to support scholarships!
With Thanks to Our 2019 Sponsors:
2019 Epic Aviation Scholarship Winners
2018 Epic Aviation Scholarship Winners
2017 Epic Aviation Scholarship Winners
2016 Epic Aviation Scholarship Winner
Lastly, we wish everyone the best as you apply for an aviation scholarship. Also, you may visit our scholarship resource list to see if there are additional scholarships for which you can apply. Certainly, aviation training can be costly. However, scholarships can help minimize the cost.