What is an M-1 visa?

FAQ » » What is an M-1 visa?

The M-1 visa is a type of student visa reserved for vocational and technical schools. To obtain an M-1 visa for traveling to the United States, a student must present a signed Form I-20 at a United States Embassy or Consulate in their home country. The I-20 is issued by a designated school official, typically the international student advisor, after the student has fulfilled a school’s admissions requirements and presented proof of financial resources.

M-1 students are admitted into the United States for a fixed time period. When they cross the border, their I-94 departure cards are stamped with a date, unlike students with an F-1 Visa. Their stay may not exceed one year unless they are granted an extension for medical reasons. If a student violates their status by, for example, not maintaining a full course of study, they are not eligible for the grace period.

Students in M-1 status may not work on or off campus while studying, and they may not change their status to F-1.




Return to Frequently Asked Questions


Still have questions?

Register and then post in our forum for help

Epic Chat Close