How does an M-1 Student file for an extension?

FAQ » » How does an M-1 Student file for an extension?

After the designated school official (DSO) requests an extension in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), the M-1 student must apply for a program extension by filing a Form I-539, “Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status,” with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  An M-1 students must send the updated Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status,” which shows the recent SEVIS extension request, with the application. An M-1 student may apply and file for a program extension only during a very specific period of time:

  • Up to 60 days before their program end date listed on the Form I-20.
  • But, no later than 15 days before the program end date listed on the Form I-20. 

An M-1 student who needs to apply for an extension to begin practical training also may need to apply for work authorization from USCIS at the same time they file for their extension. M-1 students should work closely with their DSO to file both applications.  For more information about the steps involved for filing for a program extension, visit the USCIS page for the Form I-539.

Return to Frequently Asked Questions


Still have questions?

Register and then post in our forum for help

Epic Chat Close