How do I qualify for M-1 student visa?

FAQ » » How do I qualify for M-1 student visa?

To qualify for an M-1 vocational student visa, your first must have been accepted at a school that has received advance approval from the U.S. Government.  You must be coming to the US as a bona fide student pursuing a full course of study.  That means you must attend at least 18 hours per week, if the courses consist mostly of classroom study; or if the courses consist mostly of laboratory work, 22 hours per week.  Your intended school program must lead to a vocational objective, such as a flight certificate.

You must also already be accepted by the school of your choice and have enough money to study full-time without working.  The US consulate deciding on your visa will ask you to prove that you have enough cash on hand to cover all your expenses for up to a year.

You must be able to speak, read, and write English well enough to understand the course work (the consular officer who interviews you for the visa will be informally testing your English ability).  Epic offers English classes to help you overcome any linguistic barriers.

Finally, in addition to proving that you have the necessary background and financial capability to pursue your studies, you must prove that you intend to return to your home country when your program is over.  If your goal is to take up permanent residence in the US when your visa runs out, you are not legally eligible for an M-1 Visa.


Return to Frequently Asked Questions


Still have questions?

Register and then post in our forum for help