If you plan to apply for job openings at CommutAir, you should first familiarize yourself with CommutAir’s hiring requirements and pay so you can maximize your airline career. Skills, experience, and hours logged impact wages for both captain and first officer positions, therefore it is wise to always compare entry level pilot salary to the average to get a better idea of the rewards and opportunities provided through CommutAir careers. How much do pilots earn is usually the first question applicants ask, but these jobs offer benefits beyond the pay, which is why you need to research everything from hiring requirements to income to other perks of the job.
Airline Type: U.S. Regional
Aircraft Type: Embraer ER145
Headquarters: North Olmsted, Ohio
Bases: Newark, NJ (EWR); Dulles, VA (IAD)
Origin: Founded in 1989, CommutAir now operates on behalf of United Airlines as United Express with service to over 35 cities in the United States and Canada.
What are the hiring requirements for CommutAir careers?
First Officer Hiring Requirements
- FAA commercial pilot’s license with multi-engine and instrument ratings
- 50 hours of multi-engine fixed-wing flight time (may be reduced to 25)
- 200 hours cross-country flight time
- 250 hours fixed-wing PIC
- 100 hours of cross-country as PIC
- 100 hours of night flying
- 75 hours of instrument time (actual or simulated – 50 hours must be in airplanes)
- 25 hours of night PIC
- Must be at least 21 years of age and finish ATP written prior to start of New Hire Training
- Total flight time minimums:
- 1,500 hours
- 1,250 hours – with qualifying 2- or 4-year aviation university program with 30 aviation hours
- 1,000 hours – with qualifying 2- or 4-year aviation university program with 60 aviation hours
- 750 hours – military flight training graduates
Additionally, candidates must have the following qualifications:
- Current FAA first class medical certificate
- Current passport
- IFR Currency
- FCC Radio Operator’s Permit
- Ability to legally work in the United States
- Ability to travel in and out of the United States
United Airlines Career Path Program (CPP)
CommutAir pilots in the United Airlines CPP secure United Airlines hiring consideration.
United CPP Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or GED at time of application; Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required before being hired by United Airlines
- Actively fly a minimum of one year with CommutAir
- Earn minimum of 1,000 Pilot-in-Command hours or 3,000 total hours flying for CommutAir
- Successful CPP interview with United Airlines
- Successfully complete United Airlines job fit assessment
- Allow United Airlines to access CommutAir employment details
- Complete minimum of one CommutAir initial qualification evaluation and one continuing qualification evaluation
- Successfully complete required United Airlines professional development process and job fit assessment
- Pass United Airlines drug screen and background check
- Receive hiring recommendation from United CPP Administrator and the United Airlines Pilot Selection Board
So, exactly how much can I earn as a CommutAir pilot?
Here is a sampling of CommutAir pilot annual wages. Pilot pay changes based on various factors, such as type of plane, years of experience, etc. For instance, this is for the Dash 8 300.
|Starting: $29,520||Starting: $52,152|
|Average: $32,964||Average: $59,040|
|Top: $36,408||Top: $65,928|
We have tried to provide the most accurate information regarding hiring requirements for commercial airlines. However, we also encourage you to contact the airline you’re interested in working for directly to verify employment requirements. Learn how much you can earn as a pilot, and learn exactly how to become a pilot. We wish you great success as an airline pilot and hope you land your dream job! Before you fill out that job application, you will need flight training. If you are interested in pursuing a flying career with CommutAir and are interested in receiving your training at our flight school in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, please contact us today!